January is Cervical Health Awareness Month! According to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition (NCCC), more than 14,000 women in the U.S. are diagnosed with invasive cervical cancer each year, but the disease is preventable with vaccination and appropriate screening.
Below find a handful of ways from the NCCC to honor Cervical Health Awareness Month and help educate your communities on cervical health.
It is recommended that girls and boys be vaccinated at age 11-12. The vaccine produces a stronger immune response when taken during the preteen years, but women and men can be vaccinated through age 45.
Women should start with a Pap test at age 21 and should be co-tested with a Pap and an HP test starting at age 30. A healthcare provider will offer advice on how often a woman should be screened.
Consider spreading the word on social media with #CervicalHealthMonth to share information and resources related to cervical health prevention!
- January is Cervical Health Awareness Month. Learn more, get involved, make a difference! http://ow.ly/g3RQ30760mz #CervicalHealthMonth
- Tons of free materials – fact sheets, a fotonovela, and more https://tinyurl.com/2p8hesrh #CervicalHealthMonth
- Find free/low-cost Pap tests in your area. http://ow.ly/9REq30760to #CervicalHealthMonth
- January is Cervical Health Awareness Month. Visit NCCC to learn more. Get involved and make a difference! http://ow.ly/MdJb30760xc
- During Cervical Health Month in January ASHA is offering free downloads of our fact sheets and a fotonovela. Get yours today. https://tinyurl.com/2p8hesrh
- During Cervical Health Month in January you can download free materials from NCCC. For more go to NCCC. Get involved, make a difference! http://ow.ly/MdJb30760xc
- Not one single woman ever needs to die from cervical cancer. We have the tools we need to prevent this disease so let’s use them. Get involved. Make a difference! Visit the National Cervical Cancer Coalition online https://www.nccc-online.org/
Additional Resources From the NCCC
- Free E-book: HPV & Cervical Cancer: Stories from Survivors and Supporters
- Poster: How Can I Prevent Cervical Cancer?
- Poster: January is Cervical Health Awareness Month
- Poster: Have You Heard the Secret to Cervical Cancer Prevention?
- ASHA Podcasts: Sex + Health